The Voyages of Transformation are a joint project between Plymouth & District Mind and the Tectona Trust. A six-day voyage at sea on the sail training ship Tectona, with its expert and friendly crew, will provide voyagers with an opportunity to work together, to support each other and learn new skills in a new environment.
Plymouth tall ship Tectona has for several years successfully carried out a programme of Recovery Voyages with people who are recovering from addiction. The new environment and the rhythm of life at sea, gives people a fresh perspective where they apply skills they sometimes didn’t even know they had.
The aim for the Voyages of Transformation is to work with people with mental health challenges to improve their self-esteem, support them to develop new skills and coping strategies, and to ultimately empower them to live meaningful and satisfying lives beyond mental ill-health.
The environment will also foster the development of teamwork skills and positive peer support relationships. Voyagers will have the option to work towards the internationally recognised Competent Crew Certificate if they choose to.
The Voyages of Transformation will depart from and return to Plymouth. Voyages can head towards different locations depending on weather conditions, and the team’s choice.
Plymouth & District Mind and Tectona Trust are registered charities. The costs of the voyage will need to be fundraised for. One part of this will be done by the team of voyagers with guidance and support from Plymouth & District Mind. This way, the voyagers will be supported to get to know each other and become a team before they set off.
You may be eligible if you:
- have been affected by mental health difficulties
- have some strategies to manage your mental health difficulty but feel ‘stuck’
- feel a need to regain confidence in yourself
- are trying to reconnect to the community / your future
- experience of boats / the water
- activity level / fitness
- employment status
- age / gender / sexual orientation / cultural background.
Interested in embarking on a Voyage of Transformation?
Let us know either by phone or email (details below) so we can invite you to find out more at our information session. This will be the first part of a detailed process to ensure our group of voyagers are informed and feel prepared, ready for a successful voyage.
We will be holding an information session where you can:
- find out more about the project
- find out more details about a Voyage of Transformation
- hear from people who have voyaged aboard Tectona
- ask questions
- meet others who are interested
Information sessions will be held at:
Plymouth Mind, 8 Woodside, Greenbank, Plymouth PL4 8QE
- 27th February 6.00-7.30pm
- 20th March 12:00 -1:30pm at Plymouth University, Room 214, Babbage Building, James Street, PL4 6EQ
We will be holding individual meetings with those interested, after the information session, where we can discuss practicalities, answer personal questions and problem solve barriers which people may be facing.