The true costs of mental ill-health in the workplace
Right now, 1 in 6 workers will be experiencing depression, stress or anxiety (Mind)
This is backed up by recent research from the Organisatation for Economic Coperation and Development (OECD), which found that mental ill-health costs the UK economy an estimated £70 billion a year or 4.5 per cent of GDP. Office for National Statistics data show that sickness absence caused by stress, anxiety or depression had increased to 15.2 million days lost in 2013 up from 11.8 million days in 2010.
We have a range of mental health courses which we have delivered to a variety of audiences. Our training team are also able to work with you to design and deliver a bespoke course, ensuring the training meets the specific requirements of your organisation.
Do you want to ensure your workplace is mentally healthy?
We have a range of mental health courses which we have delivered to a variety of audiences. Our training team are also able to work with you to design and deliver a bespoke course, ensuring the training meets the specific requirements of your organisation. We know that there are many benefits to investing in training for your team, such as:
- reduced staff turnover and sickness absence
- a healthier workplace
- better staff morale
- better customer service
- more committed staff
- greater skills retention
What courses would benefit your business?
Our experience has shown that there are 3 courses in particular that will enable you to create and sustain a mentally healthy workplace.
1. For managers – Promoting Wellbeing in the Workplace (1 day)
This course aims to teach managers how to:
- Recognise the tell tale signs of depression
- Understand how mental illness manifests itself in the workplace
- Understand the factors that heighten the risk of stress
- Apply Mind’s three point strategy to promote wellbeing
- Maximise staff potential through timely empathetic intervention
- Tackle presenteeism in a positive way in their organisation
2. For staff – Building Resilience Seminar
Time: 1.5 hours (Can be extended to 2 hours)
This seminar is suitable for staff at all levels of a service or a company. It will help participants reflect on:
- The nature of resilience?
- How stress impacts on resilience
- The traits of people who lack resilience
- The traits of emotionally resilient people
- The five steps to Mental Wellbeing.
- Devising a personal Wellness Recovery Action Plan
3. For everyone – Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) (2 days)
We all have designated First Aiders in our organisations. So, if you hurt yourself physically, you know instantly who to contact. We believe that EVERY organisation that employs staff should also have designated Mental Health First Aiders. This course will teach participants how to:
- Preserve life where a person may be a danger to themselves or others
- Provide initial comfort to someone experiencing mental distress
- Guide a person towards professional help
- Promote the recovery of good mental health
- Reduce stigma and discrimination through education.
How do you access Plymouth & District Mind training?
Whether you have an individual employee or a team of staff who require training – our training packages are designed to meet all needs:
- Individual Delegate Bookings: Choose this option to attend any of the courses at our training venue in Plymouth. We will post details of any upcoming courses here.
- Bespoke Training: We can bring any of the courses to you for a fixed all-inclusive fee. We can ensure that this training is bespoke to the needs of you and your colleagues at a venue of your choice.
How much do the training courses costs?
1. Bespoke in-house training for organisations from £600 per day for up to 20 attendees (16 for MHFA). This includes everything – the trainer, the trainer’s travel expenses, all resources (manuals & handouts), and certificates.
2. Individual delegate booking rates for anyone attending our timetabled training courses at our training venue in Plymouth: Half day From £57 per person; Full day From £87 per person; Two days From £157 per person.
*Reductions are available for voluntary and community sector organisations
We also offer a specialist in-house service for employers looking to support staff who are absent from work, or finding work difficult because of a mental health problem.
Corporate partnerships play a huge role in supporting the work we do, from volunteering, sponsorship, and charity of the year appeals. If you would like to partner with us, we would love to hear from you.