With this grant, National Mind are running a two-year programme that aims to:
- build an evidence base for the effectiveness of one to one, group and online peer support
- promote the value of peer support to people with experience of mental health problems, service providers and commissioners.
Plymouth Mind are one of the nine local Minds which have been chosen as ‘Peer Support Hubs’.
As part of this 2 year project, we will be running 3 Peer Support Networking Events and 4 ‘Expert-on-Call’ Sessions to support and grow peer support in our community.
What we have achieved so far?
- 1st networking event held on 17 September 2015 – 31 attendees who are currently involved in peer support or interested in developing peer support in Plymouth
- 2nd networking event held for those who could not attend in September – 12 attendees
- 3rd networking event held on the 14 January 2016 – 13 attendees
- 1st ‘expert-on-call’ session on the 26 January 2016 – focused on peer support training. 17 attendees worked with trainers from the Institute of Mental Health to develop listening skills, and understanding of different narratives, how to manage disclosures and shared experiences.
What are we planning next?
- One more networking event to facilitate in June 2016 (date tbc)
- 3 more expert on call sessions – April, June and August 2016 (dates tbc). We have narrowed down the sessions that people want most to 4 options. Please help us choose the next 3 sessions by taking part in our Doodle Poll.
Where can you find out more?
The following pages give you a flavour of what is going on in peer support in Plymouth, how you can get involved, and much more….
- Case Studies and Blog
- ‘Expert-on-Call’ Sessions
- Networking Events
- Side by Side Grant Funded Projects
- Peer Support Directory
- Useful Resources
We would love to hear from you if you are interested in finding out more about peer support, or you are currently involved in a peer support group. Please contact Olivia on [email protected] or tel. 01752 512280